Vegan Chilli Con Carne
This somewhat traditional dish is exactly what we needed in lockdown- hearty, fun and with enough spice to keep us going. It really tasted incredible, and that’s why I couldn’t wait to share the recipe with you. My ‘non’ carne is vegan and cruelty free, using Naked Glory mince as my protein. The smokey paprika works beautifully with the earthy cumin in this dish- I served it with flatbreads and wholegrain rice.
- 260g naked glory mince
- 2 onions
- 1 pepper (any variety)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 red chilli
- 500g tomato passata
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 180g basmati rice
Preheat your oven to 190 degrees, this recipe serves 3
- Start by following the instructions on your packet of rice and cooking it accordingly
- Dice your onions, sweat down in a pan, adding garlic as they begin to soften
- Dice your pepper and add to your hot pan, continue to cook until soft
- Add all your dry spices to the pan as well as your tomato puree, stir and cook out slowly, stirring constantly to avoid it burning. Add your fresh chilli
- Add your naked glory mince and mix, coating the mince in all the spice. Then add your tomato passata, as well as 100ml of water. Check the sauce for seasoning (salt and pepper)
- Finish your chilli off by putting in a oven proof dish, covering and baking for 30 minutes
- After around 25, 30 minutes, your sauce should of reduced, thickened, and changed colour. Check for seasoning, and serve your chilli with whatever you like. I used rice, but this is just as nice with potatoes and breads!
This dish is so lovely and something everyone can get behind. It’s a family dish perfectly shared together. This guilt free alternative went down a treat in my household and I can’t wait to hear how it goes down in yours!!!
There’s lots more to come – Follow me and leave me comments on how you got on!