Balado is a type of hot and spice mixture from West Sumatra, Indonesia.
Balado sauce is made by stir frying ground red hot chilli pepper with other spices including garlic, shallot, and tomato.
- aubergine, weighing about 500 gr / 1.5 lb gr
- 200 gr large red chilies chopped (or you can use sweet pointed red peppers if you don’t want it to be too spicy)
- 150 gr shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 beef tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- Shrimp paste (optional)
- vegetable oil to fry aubergine & chili sauce
- Prepare all ingredients for the paste, pre-cut and slice if necessary.
- Blend the shallots, garlic and chilies in a food until smooth. Put aside.
- Prepare the aubergine – wash and slice them
- Heat about 100 ml and fry the sliced aubergine until golden brown. Set aside on the colander to drain the excess oil.
- Heat 2 tbsp used oil in a frying pan and stir fry the paste. Keep stirring until fragrant.
- Add chopped tomato and cook further until all incorporated.
- Season to taste.
- Add in the aubergine and mix well until all coated in the chilli sauce and ready to be served with rice or can be eaten as a side dish for Indonesian beef rendang.
Make sure to Follow my Profile Page to receive many more new recipes!!
Indonesian Food Recipes