- 600 gr boneless skinless chicken thighs
Bumbu kacang (Peanut sauce):
- 4 garlic – peeled and minced
- 6 shallots – peeled and minced
- 250 gr fried/roasted groundnuts/cashew nuts
- 500 ml water – or more as needed
- 4 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 100 ml sweet soya sauce
- 1 tsp salt – or more as needed
Cooking the peanut sauce:
Place all ingredients for peanut sauce in a blender or food processor and grind into a paste. Transfer to a medium pan and cook it until it bubbles. Season to taste. The consistency should not be too thick or too runny. The taste should be more on the sweet side. Cool down a small portion of the sauce to use to marinade the chicken.
- Cut the chicken roughly about 1.5 inch pieces.
- Add the peanut sauce and make sure all the chicken pieces are coated. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or best overnight.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water min one hour before cooking the satay.
- Skewer the marinated chicken with bamboo skewers.
- You can either cook this in the grill (175C about 10 mins per side) or BBQ (about 5 mins per side). I like to drizzle extra sweet soya sauce on the BBQ to give a nice color & caramelization.
- Satay can be eaten on it’s own with peanut sauce dip and sprinkling of fried shallot or with some jasmine rice along with some pickled veg.
Make sure to Follow my Profile Page to receive many more new recipes!!
Indonesian Food Recipes