Indonesian festive cookies with homemade spiced pineapple jam filling. This cookie commonly served during Christmas, Chinese New Year and Eid-ul Fitri.
The majority of the work is making the spiced pineapple jam filling. I normally make them ahead before baking it (they are suitable for freezing).
Spiced pineapple jam ingredients:
- 1 large pineapple peeled, cut and grate or you can use hand blender.
- 200g caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 cloves
- 2 pandan leaves
- 1 stick cinnamon
Mix all ingredients and put them in a saucepan and let it simmer with low heat for few hours. Stir it occasionally until you get dry and thick mixture. Shape into small balls about 5 grams and place on baking paper-lined tray. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until needed.
Nastar cookie ingredients
- 200g unsalted butter
- 250g all-purpose flour
- 60g powdered sugar
- 30g cornflour
- 20g milk powder
- 2 egg yolks
- Beat butter, sugar, and egg yolks until soft and light.
- Add the dry ingredients (both flours and milk powder) and mix until fully incorporated.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for about 30 minutes until firm.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line several cookie sheets with parchment.
Roll the dough into 1-inch balls. Make a depression in the center of each ball and fill with pineapple jam filling. Pinch the edges of the dough back around the filling, and turn seam side down. Place on baking trays about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 15 minutes, take it out. Brush the tops of each cookie with egg wash and bake for another 15 minutes until shiny and golden. Cool on wire racks.
Make sure to Follow my Profile Page to receive many more new recipes!!
Indonesian Food Recipes