If your children are having friends round for a Halloween party, this is an excellent recipe for them to have a go at. They will be practising a few cooking skills in the process ie creaming the butter and sugar together and rolling out the dough.
Once the Gingerbread Men come out of the oven, they will cool down quickly. Then the children will be occupied for a while using the icing and mini Smarties to decorate their Mummies.
Finally, they can bite into their biscuits and get the combination of the warm rich taste of the ginger and the sweetness of the sugar and golden syrup. A bit of a sugar rush, but a tasty one at that!
- 45g butter, softened
- 35g soft brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 115g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
For the decoration
- 100g icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp water
- Mini Smarties
1. Preheat oven to fan 160C/conventional 180C/ gas mark 4
2. Mix the butter and sugar in a large bowl.
3. Add the golden syrup, flour, ginger and baking powder and mix together until a dough is formed.
4. On a lightly dusted work surface roll the dough out and use a gingerbread man cutter.
6. Place the biscuits onto a non-stick baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes.
7. Ensure the biscuits have completely cooled before decorating.
8. To decorate, mix the icing sugar with 1tbsp water and drizzle all over the biscuits to create a mummy effect. Finish off by adding Smarties for scary eyes.
Will keep wrapped in foil or in a tin for 3-4 days.
Follow me for more upcoming seasonal festive recipes on my Profile Page
Family Meal Recipes