Brazilian Carrot Cake
When I first arrived in England 15 years ago, I learnt about the traditional English carrot cake topped with cream cheese icing. Before that, the only carrot cake I knew was the Brazilian one. A very fluffy and yellow cake usually topped with some melted chocolate sauce that dries and gets sugary and crispy. You can find these in many bakeries and shops in Brazil. But the smell of a freshly baked carrot cake is just irresistible which makes it the most loved homemade food in Brazil.
It is a very simple and delicious cake that is perfect for any time of the day. Would you like to try to make a carrot cake on the Brazilian way?
- 360ml oil
- 3 Medium grated carrots (370g)
- 4 eggs
- 360g caster sugar
- 390g wheat flour
- 3g salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 100gr Chocolate powder
- 240g sugar
- 120ml water
Prep: 15 min › Cook: 30 min › Rectangular tray 30 x 25 cm
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease your tin tray 30 cm x 25 cm with butter and spread some wheat flour covering all the tray. Take off all the excess tapping upside down.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking powder. Reserve.
- In a blender add the eggs, oil and carrots (washed, peeled and cut intosmaller pieces). Blender for about 5 min. Add sugar to this mix and blenderfor more 5 min.
- (*tip: check the size of your blender, if is a small one might not fit all the ingredients, so leave the sugar and mix in a bowl after).
- In a large bowl pour all this creamy mixture and add gently the dry mixtureof flour stirring with a fouet until is smooth and homogen.
- Pour all the cake mixture inside the preprared tray and bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven. A skewer inserted into the cake should come out clean.
- White you wait you can start to prepared the couverture: In a medium pan mix all the couverture ingredients and keep at medium-high heat stirring with a spatula. When starts to boiled leave cooking for more about 5 to 8 min without stop stirring.
- TO FINISH: Cut the cake still hot inside the tray in around 15 pieces. Pour all the chocolate sauce on top covering all the cake
If carrot cake is not your thing I also have a really simple Lemon Meringue Tart recipe to woo your guests this summer.
Sweet Treats & Desserts