Taste of Nepal and India – Right on your doorstep
So… a few months ago as I was walking along the Bedford Highstreet a banner captured my eye.
“Nepalese & Indian Restaurant opening soon with an Award-Winning Chef!” I immediately got in contact with the respective owner to find out more, barely containing my excitement that the town I am very slowly learning to like has FINALLY opened an eatery where I can get my fix of MOMO’S …. I BLOODY LOVE MOMO’S. (If you don’t know what MOMO’s are… then get to know people! Little description further down below.)
Anyway, a few weeks later I received a message from Jay kindly inviting myself & the better half along to the opening soft launch opening for an exclusive peek into the world of Blue Monk.
The one thing I was excited to taste and see were the Momo’s (Filled Dumplings), having had them previously at a street food festival some time ago, I really had the crave.
Who is the award-winning Head chef?
Sudha Shankar Saha has been recognised for winning a regional competition of ITV’s Britains Best Dish, Semi-Finalist for National Chef of the year and competed against a Gordon Ramsey’s Chef for the Alaska Seafood Award amongst many other achievements. You could really tell the passion Sudha puts into his food and my god the presentation is fabulous!
As soon as we walked in, we were greeted by warm and welcoming staff, the place was packed and had a great buzz! The interior and décor were a delight to the eye, with a very earthy and calming feel, Interior Goals right there folks!
We were directed to our seats promptly, presented with a beautifully and well-informed menu. As expected on a Soft Launch Day, there were a few delays with food, however staff were attentive and kept us well informed. Jay (owner) & Badrul (Owner) talked us through the inspiration of opening Blue Monk and how they felt there was a gap in the Bedford market for authentic, well presented Nepalese/Indian food.
(I had a chance to meet Chef Sudha and managed to persuade my husband to take a cheeky picture of us all – Pictured below alongside owners.)
What did we order?
We were advised/recommended to try some of the Chef Specials/Signature Dishes instead of going for some of the more common “Indian Style Dishes.” So, we ended up getting a little mix BECAUSE you know… Well why not eh?
Papadoms (We were starving and wanted something to munch on, whilst taking pictures and admiring the menu.) – The Chutneys/Sauces went beautifully may I add.
- Chilli Mogo: Deep fried cassava chips cooked in a flavoured chilli sauce, diced onion and soya sauce – £4.25 (I love chilli anything and hadn’t had Mogo for ages – This truly hit the spot, however my husband wasn’t keen, but that’s only because he doesn’t like Mogo – Can you believe?!)
- Momo (Veg, Chicken or Lamb): Tibetan style dumplings filled with flavoured spice, marinated fillings served with spicy Himalayan Sauce – £4.75 (I was fully looking forward to these, I absolutely LOVE Momo’s and went for the vegetarian option, we were also served out the chicken Momo (by mistake), but my preference was, still and will always be vegetarian – complimented the Spicy yet Sweet Himalayan Sauce *Drool*
Chef Specials: Main Course
- Nizami Paneer: Spiced Paneer and granny smith stack, mint quinoa kedgeree, mango achaar, peanut and coconut flavoured curry sauce – £11.90 (I am a sucker for Paneer, it’s by far one of my favourite vegetarian dishes, however this beauty of a dish was faancaaay and packed full of flavour – I would order this again and again and again … (drifting off into Paneer Land – don’t mind me heh!)
- Seafood Moilee: Prawns, halibut and scallops, dosa potato and spinach gateaux, moilee sauce and micro greens – £12.95 (Right I’m not the biggest fish fan, however my other half is and he absolutely loved it, I of course did try it and loved the flavours of the moilee sauce and the prawns – This is a must try for fish lovers and anyone wanting to try something different with fresh produce)
- Bawli Handi Ghost (Medium): Lamb cooked with two types of onion, potato and aromatic Nepalese Spices – £7.95 (I had a few bites of this curry and it wasn’t a typical “rogan josh” or whatever you fancy lot like to call a curry, this was a simplistic “eat at home” kinda dish. I personally wouldn’t order again, but my husband wolfed it down and said the lamb was soft and succulent. (I really do prefer Indian/indo Vegetarian dishes and that is why my husband was there to provide us with his honest opinions of all the meatier options – he is quite fussy by the way.
- Garlic Naan: £2.95 (Soft, airy and exactly what you would expect from a naan – thank you naan for complimenting our meals so well.)
Blue Monk offer some serious culinary delights. I absolutely love the Tibetan/Nepalese/Indian/ Bangladeshi influence in this menu, yet still offering diners something different to a normal curry house. Unique in concept and in flavour – There is something for everyone at Blue Monk.
I will definitely be returning and booking a table in advance. Dum Biriyani is on my list to try alongside Nalli Gosht (which is a Braised spiced lamb shank in a rogan josh jus – I mean how deelish does that sound)
The presentation of the dishes are just beautiful and for the price one really can’t complain.
If you’re local to Bedford or around the area then definitely put this one on your list to try.
General Information – Please check out Blue Monk Website to view their mouth-watering menu & of course catch up on the latest deals. With Christmas & New Years around the corner it would be a good time to book your tables and take your taste buds on a journey of culinary delights.
Address: 19 High St, Bedford MK40 1RY
Opening Days & Times (Subject to change)
Mon – Thursday: 12pm – 2.30pm & 5pm – 11pm
Friday: 5pm – 11pm
Saturday: 12pm – 2.30pm & 5pm – 11pm
Sunday: 12pm – 10pm
Disclaimer: Me & my husband were invited to dine at Blue Monk on the first day of opening at the soft launch, all food and drinks were complimentary, however, all pictures, views and opinions are my own and I would gladly pay full price on my next visit to Blue Monk. Thanks to Jay/Badrul & Team for making our experience an enjoyable one and all the best of luck!
Follow me for more reviews on independent food businesses in Bedford
In and around Bedford