As we are trying to keep the ingredients as simple as possible – we thought a healthy bean burger would be a lovely recipe as I am sure everyone would have a canned kidney beans in their pantry . Burgers are always hit with children . Maybe add some sweet potato fries to go with it if we can push it to complete healthy meal .
It’s a great recipe where children can weigh out the beans and mash up the beans, add the some spices and learn to make their own healthy burgers .
Beans are high in protein and a great alternative to having meat or chicken.
- 200g Kidney Beans – Drained and Rinsed
- 45g Bread Crumbs
- Half Tsp chilli powder or black pepper
- A Few Stalks of Coriander chopped finely
- 1/3 egg
- 2 tablespoons tomato salsa
- salt to season
In a large mixing bowl add the kidney beans ( Parents can part mush them in a food processor ) then the rest the children can mush using a fork to make it as smooth as you can .
Snip the coriander with a pair of scissors and add to the mixture .
Weigh out the breadcrumbs , chilli powder , salt, pepper , beaten egg and salsa. Mix it all together.
Wet your hands and roll out into balls and flatten into burgers .
Fry Them on a medium heat and have it in your favourite bun with salad and sauce .
Tips ** –
- Bread crumbs – If you don’t have bread crumbs – blitz a piece of bread in a food processor to breadcrumbs and add to the burger mixture .
- Salsa – Chop tomatoes and onion and add some lemon – finely chop or can also be blitz in a food processor
- Coriander – you can use any dried herbs that you have at home if you can’t find any fresh coriander .
For more recipes to enjoy making with kids, Follow me
| Asma Awan
Cooking with Kids