Batata Vada ( Spicy Potatoes
These little gems can be made ahead of time for meal prep or lunchboxes. They make great snack or a starter when hosting a party when served hot with Green Chutney
What more is that they are vegetarian, vegan & gluten-free!
Prep time: 30 min – 1 hr
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 1kg of potatoes peeled and cut
- 2 Green Chillies
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 cm Ginger
- 1 Onion
- Coriander leaves
- Sugar to taste
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsb curry leaves
- 1 cup of gram flour
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- ½ tsp of chilli powder
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- Pinch of bicarbonate soda
- Salt to taste
- Boil the potatoes till tender. drain and mash.
- Chop the ginger, garlic, onions, chillies and coriander and mix with the mashed potatoes. Add salt, sugar and lime juice to this mixture.
- In a pan heat the oil and temper mustard seeds and curry leaves till they start to sizzle. Turn the heat off and add this to the potatoes and give it a good mix.
- Make small potato balls from the mixture.
- Pop them in the fridge for half an hour to an hour to firm up.
- In another bowl add the ingredients for the batter keeping it fairly thick.
- Add a tsp of hot oil to the batter
- Dip each ball into the batter and deep fry until golden brown. (make sure the ball is covered in batter and that the batter is not runny, otherwise, it will fall apart in the oil)
- If you run out of batter make some more.
- Repeat the process until the balls have been deep-fried
These are best enjoyed hot with Green Chutney
Indian Food Recipes