Baked Plum Cake
As I write this we have had our first big downpour of rain in ages, which means we must bid farewell to Summer, as we have the cold and wet months of Autumn and Winter knocking on our doors.
I like the seasons, the different feelings they evoke. The autumnal colours of browns, yellows and reds on the trees as I am walking make me feel joyful and warm inside.
This recipe is an ideal cake to make now, as there is an abundance of plums available in the shops and if you are lucky enough to pick from your own plum tree, even better. The topping of the desiccated coconut gives a slight crunch to this tasty teatime treat.
- 3 fresh plums, halved and stoned
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 50g butter
- 50g caster sugar
- ½ small lemon, finely grated zest only
- ½ small orange, finely grated zest only
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 110g self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
1. Pre-heat the oven to fan 160C/ conventional 180C/ gas mark 4.
2. Mix the plums with the honey and place in a lightly greased 6” foil tin.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
4.Add the lemon and orange zest, cinnamon and egg then mix slowly until all are incorporated.
5.Fold in the flour gently and then the milk. Spoon the sponge mixture on top of the plums and sprinkle with the desiccated coconut.
6.Bake for approximately 25 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
Check out some other sweet treats on my Profile Page ?
Family Meal Recipes